Sion airport is the closest airport to Verbier, around 50 minutes by road. It used to be a military and civil airport but now it operates purely for civilian use.
- Airport Code: SIR
- Distance from Verbier: 55km
- Distance from Sion town centre: 2km
- Number of terminals: 1 passenger terminal
- Accepted Currency: Swiss Francs (CHF)
- Information Desk: There is an Information Desk just inside the entrance to the main terminal, in between Check-In and the newsstand.
Travel & Transport:
- Parking: Sion airport has 150 short term parking spaces and 200 long term parking spaces situated just 200m from the terminal building. Parking fees are inexpensive, for example 50 centimes for up to 20 hours and 10 CHF for up to 4 days. For long term parking you must collect a sticker from Office C.
- Car Hire: There are no car hire companies based at Sion airport but there are pick-up phones for both Avis and Europcar. Hire a car here.
- Travelling to Verbier: The most common methods of getting from Sion airport to Verbier are by airport transfer, taxi or hire car.
- Taxis: There is no taxi rank outside Sion airport, but ask at Office C and they will be happy to call one for you. Find more taxis here.
- Railway Station: The Gare Centrale de Sion is the nearest train station, just 1km from the airport. You can catch a taxi from the airport and then trains run hourly to Le Chable, Verbier from 07:40 to 18:40 (times may vary, you can find out exact details on the SBB trains website. The journey takes around 1 hour 30 minutes, and you will need to change at Martigny and then get off in Le Châble, from where you can connect to the main resort by bus or cable car. .
- Flights: Sion airport is well used by private jets and helicopters for business and holidays. Find a flight here.
Services & Facilities:
- Restaurants, Bars & Takeaways: Sion airport has a restaurant that seats up to 150 people and serves a full menu, seasonal dishes and a daily special. The restaurant features a large terrace and a bar.
- Shops: All the usual items can be bought in the airport such as newspapers, magazines, sweets, cigarettes and souvenirs. Unfortunately Sion airport does not offer Duty Free at the moment but you can still buy on the aircraft.
- Conference Rooms: Certain areas of the airport restaurant can be hired for private meetings/functions.
- Internet Access: Visitors with a laptop can access the internet via a Wi-Fi connection. Access is provided by iPass.
- Smokers: Sion airport is non-smoking throughout, so if you need one last cigarette before your flight you will have to step outside the terminal building before you go through to departures.
- Cash & Currency: There are no currency changing desks or cash points at Sion airport, so ensure you have your currency before you get there.
- First Aid: There is no medical centre at Sion airport, please inform a member of staff if you require medical attention.
Luggage / Animals
- Left Luggage: Sion airport does not offer luggage storage facilities. Find out more about the types and sizes of baggage you are allowed to take with you.
- Lost Luggage: Luggage that has been lost in transit should be reported to your airline and to the baggage handlers. Property that has been misplaced within the airport should be reported to the Information Desk.
- Animals: The general policy is that small pets such as dogs, rabbits, etc can travel in the cabin providing that they are in a secure, waterproof box and that the combined weight of animal and box is no more than 7kg. All animals travelling in the cabin must be clean, in good health and well-behaved. Any animals weighing over 7kg must be transported in the hold, in a secure cage that can be bought from the airline. This must be arranged in advance of the flight and will be charged at the same rate as excess baggage. Guide dogs are allowed to travel in the cabin free of charge as long as they are muzzled and kept on a lead. All animals should have the correct vaccinations and medical records.
- Sion CH 1950 Switzerland
More Verbier Insights...
- Verbier Dump Alert - 6th December 2020
- Verbier opens early for the 2020/21 ski season
- Roger Federer holidaying in Verbier this summer
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Verbier
- Swiss ski areas close early in 2020 due to COVID-19