Milan Malpensa is Milan's main international airport. The large, modern, two-runway airport is located 49 kilometres northwest from central Milan. It handles domestic, medium and large distance flights, connecting Milan with other cities in Europe, Africa, America and Asia.
Located in the Varese region, Malpensa airport features two parallel runways, two passenger terminals (Terminal 2 is dedicated to EasyJet), connected by a free shuttle bus service that runs every seven minutes, 24 hours a day, and a cargo terminal. It is the world's 29th busiest airport, handling around 18 million passengers every year.
It was open in 1909 as an industrial airport near the Ticino river. The first concrete runway was laid when the airport was under Nazi control, during the Second World War, and it officially started as a commercial airport in 1948. It has been extensively enlarged and renovated throughout the years.
There is a wide a variety of bars, restaurants & takeaways at the airport, including lots of cafes, Asian restaurants, bakeries, Italian cuisine, pizzerias and sandwich shops. You can also find a range of shops including a supermarket and high fashion brands.
General Airport Info:
- Airport Code: MXP
- Distance to City Centre: 49km
- Number of Terminals: 2
- Accepted Currency: Euros €
Travel & Transport:
- Parking: There are five car parks located near the terminal building. P1 is the long-term car park, it has over 1200 uncovered parking places at Terminal 1, only a 4-minute walk away; minimum stay is 7 days. P2 is the Executive Car Park, and has 2700 covered parking places linked directly to the check-in area - inside is the Top Car area, with 130 large spots for luxury cars, and the Genius area with 500 spaces on floor -4 meant for long-term stays. P3 is the express car park, covered, it offers 1600 spaces adjacent to Terminal 1. P4 is another long-term car park where rates are cheaper the longer you stay; it has 1200 uncovered parking spaces. Finally, P5 is the Easy car park, inside Terminal 2, with 24-hour connection to Terminal 1 thanks to the free shuttle, featuring 3000 uncovered parking spaces. There is also a the '10 Minuti Area', a traffic management system that allows passengers and those accompanying them to stop for 10 minutes with their cars in the areas immediately in front of Terminal 1 of Malpensa airport arrivals and the Sheraton Hotel; it has a system that electronically detects the time taken to enter and exit the area Check Milan Malpensa Airport Parking real time availability & parking prices.
- Car Hire: The car hire companies’ offices are located in the arrival's lounge.
- Trains: Malpensa Express trains travel both ways every 7 minutes (30 minutes from 22:45 to 05:15) connecting Terminal 1 of the airport with Piazza Cadorna station in Milan. The journey takes around 40 minutes. Cadorna station is located in the heart of Milan near monumental and artistic sites and links to the red and green lines of the central Milan Subway. Trains also stop at Porta Garibaldi, Busto Arsizio, Saronno and Milano Bovisa. There is a luggage area inbetween compartments.
- Coaches: Coaches and buses into Milan city, Malpensa airport, Turin, Novara, Domosossola, Genova, Brescia and Orio al Serio depart on a regular basis from the airport, with several stops that include the central train station. You can buy your ticket on site before you board.
- Airlines: There are lots of International airlines that fly to Milan Malpensa, all year round. Use our Flight Finder to book your flights.
- 21010 Ferno - Varese
More Verbier Insights...
- Verbier Dump Alert - 6th December 2020
- Verbier opens early for the 2020/21 ski season
- Roger Federer holidaying in Verbier this summer
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Verbier
- Swiss ski areas close early in 2020 due to COVID-19